My love for exotic places and luxury stays are a part of my breaking away from the day-to-day chaos of running restaurants. It’s in those travels that I find myself most open to soaking in inspiration from my surroundings – whether that be the culture of my destination, the architecture, the colors, or the cuisine. I rarely come away from these trips without several new desserts and ideas to better my business and I always come home feeling creatively rejuvenated.
My most recent adventure was to Chile and Argentina this spring with my family. Here are some of the moments and memories that left me feeling inspired.
- The stunning architecture truly captivated us throughout our trip. Pictured here is the entry to the winery, Vina VIK where there is also a gorgeous hotel that we stayed at in Millahue, Chile.
- Wine is one of my favorite indulgences, especially when traveling abroad. Here we are tasting incredible Malbecs and blends at Giminez Riili in Mendoza, Argentina.
- The rich, chocolate-coated, hand-made ice cream bars are available in 30+ flavors at Emporio La Rosa in Santiago. Of course we had to taste test – our research depended on it! Our favorite was Dulce de Leche.
- The lush vineyards were perfect to stroll through. I even had the opportunity to pick grapes at the Vines of Mendoza in Argentina.
- Late morning walks on the beach burn off last night’s indulgences, clear the mind, and put things into perspective – Punta de Lobos in Chile.
- From all of the inspiration and South American flavors, I developed my newest dessert creation – El Gaucho. A decadent combination of goat cheese mousse and dulce de leche surrounded by chocolate cake, dark chocolate ganache, and crunchy chocolate pearls.